Which PDF viewer supports the QCAd Book features ...

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Which PDF viewer supports the QCAd Book features ...

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 am

My first thought was it is a missing feature in the QCad Book but it turned out that is my Adobe Reader .... :cry:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... ask_id=682

Which PDF viewer supports Index Links in the QCAd3 Book? Or is it just a wrong setting in my Adobe Reader?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Which PDF viewer supports the QCAd Book features ...

Post by andrew » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:10 am

The links work fine in Adobe Reader version 9 and Mac OS X Preview.

There might be a preference in Adobe Reader that has to be enabled, though I couldn't find anything obvious.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:13 pm

andrew wrote:The links work fine in Adobe Reader version 9 and Mac OS X Preview.

There might be a preference in Adobe Reader that has to be enabled, though I couldn't find anything obvious.
Or maybe something is wrong in the QCad Book 3 for Windows .... ?

I checked all preferences in my Adobe Reader Version 10.1.4 - nothing gave me the "Ah-ha" feeling or changed something with the Bookmarks display. Adobe mention the Fact: If there are no Bookmarks in the Document you have no option to activate the Bookmark Window .... (Makes sense!)

Then I tried a couple other PDF Readers - same story. Nowhere any sign of a Bookmark in the QCad Book ... makes me thinking it isn't a problem of the Adobe Reader ....

Ok - I'm not that lazy: I create in the QCad Book my own Bookmarks - saved it - and opened it again in the Adobe Reader.
Without any changes in the Adobe Preferences I was able to see the Bookmarks in First place and they are working as they should ...

Long Story short: No Reader can find any Bookmark in the Original QCad Book 3 - but all Reader are able to read my Test Bookmarks in the QCad Book ...

I'm the only one with this phenomenon :roll:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:25 pm

I'll look into it on a computer with Acrobat Reader installed.

I'm not sure what exactly is called a 'bookmark' in Acrobat lingo. Maybe this is a misunderstanding. The table of contents at the beginning of the book and the word index at the end of the book should be linked to the appropriate pages. Also, you should have some kind of side bar with direct links to chapters and sub-chapters. Not sure if this is called 'bookmarks' in Adobe Reader. Preview calls it 'Sidebar' - 'Table of Contents'.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 am

andrew wrote:Maybe this is a misunderstanding. The table of contents at the beginning of the book and the word index at the end of the book should be linked to the appropriate pages. Also, you should have some kind of side bar with direct links to chapters and sub-chapters. Not sure if this is called 'bookmarks' in Adobe Reader. Preview calls it 'Sidebar' - 'Table of Contents'.
It doesn't sounds like a misunderstanding - that is exactly what I'm looking for! 8)

QCad 3 Book Original (there are NO links to chapter or sub-chapter!)
QCad 3 Book Original.png
QCad 3 Book Original.png (60.51 KiB) Viewed 15568 times
QCad 3 Book manipulated with "my" links to chapter and sub-chapter (Bookmarks)
QCad 3 Book Test.png
QCad 3 Book Test.png (69.36 KiB) Viewed 15568 times

Edit: Yes - it's called in many Programs Bookmarks / Lesezeichen ...
Attachments
QCad 3 Book Bookmarks.png
QCad 3 Book Bookmarks.png (20.77 KiB) Viewed 15566 times

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 am

Just been looking at this and I agree Husky , for me also I have no linked bookmarks/links working for the new QCAD book (reflecting the changes for version 3) for either the contents or the index of the book and no side bar with direct links to chapters and sub-chapters.

Tested on Windows 7 - 64 using latest version of Adobe reader ( 10.1.40) and also latest version of open source Foxit reader regardless of the preference setting to enable URL links in both applications.
The only thing working in both reader applications is 'go to specific pages using thumbnail images'.

* However in the older QCAD book (version 2) the sidebar with direct links to chapters and sub-chapters works fine in both readers.

Hope this helps

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:03 am

You're right.

What happens is that the mechanism which adds the name and e-mail to watermark the downloaded PDF removes all links and the table of contents ('bookmarks'). This is unfortunate indeed and I've re-opened the bug report. Since this seems to be a limitation of the FPDF library, a quick fix is unlikely though :(

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Return to “Chat”